Today I thought I’d highlight a smaller community bank that does a really good job marketing mortgages, Farmers Bank of Kansas City.
While their history extends far beyond that of most mortgage lenders, 113 years old to be exact, their use of technology is a great example of what a bank can do right when it comes to home loans.
Just because you’re a big bank doesn’t mean you can’t have a great website, or embrace the latest tools available.
Farmers Bank of Kansas City says they offer a customized approach to every mortgage they originate, and they’re happy to do business any way you like, whether that’s by text, phone call, or email.
Farmers Bank of Kansas City Mortgage Fast Facts
- Depository bank headquartered in Overland Park, Kansas
- Founded more than 100 years ago
- A branch of Farmers Bank & Trust
- Offer home purchase loans, refinance loans, and home equity products
- Licensed to lend nationwide
Farmers Bank of Kansas City is actually a branch of the larger Farmers Bank & Trust, which has assets nearing $1 billion dollars.
It appears they are the tech-savvy arm of the bank that has invested in technology so you can apply for a home loan from just about anywhere, without the typical inconvenience.
While they love what technology can do, they don’t forget to offer the personal attention you’d feel from a small town bank.
How to Apply for a Mortgage with Farmers Bank of Kansas City
- It’s possible to apply for a home loan via their website without any human assistance
- They offer a digital mortgage application powered by fintech company Ellie Mae
- Securely submit documents online, check loan status 24/7, and communicate with their lending team via text, phone, or email
- You can also compare mortgage rates before you apply and search their loan officer directory if you want to work with someone specific
One awesome thing about Farmers Bank of Kansas City Mortgage is the ability to apply for a home loan directly from their website, without any assistance.
You don’t need to fill out a contact form or wait for someone to call you back. Instead, you can dive right in on your own.
They offer a digital mortgage application powered by Ellie Mae that lets you complete much of the loan process paperlessly.
You can link financial accounts, scan and upload paperwork, and eSign documents along the way to get things done fast and securely.
To begin, simply head to their website and click on “Get Started.” That will take you to their mortgage rate quote page where you can enter basic details to see loan pricing.
Alternatively, you can just click on “Quick Apply” and go straight to the loan application without getting pricing.
A better strategy might be to check out rates first, then if you like them, browse their loan officer directory (also on their website) to handpick someone to work with.
You can apply from each loan officer’s own webpage or short bio section. Check their personal reviews to find out who might be the best fit.
Those looking for a mortgage pre-approval can also use the digital application to get started.
Loan Types Offered by Farmers Bank of Kansas City Mortgage
- Home purchase loans and refinance loans
- New construction and home renovation loans
- Conforming home loans backed by Fannie/Freddie
- Government-backed home loans: FHA/USDA/VA
- Jumbo home loans
- Home equity lines and loans
- Fixed-rate and adjustable-rate options available in various terms
Farmers Bank of Kansas City offers the full suite of mortgage loan offerings, including home purchase loans, refinance loans, construction and renovation financing, and home equity products.
You can get a mortgage on a primary residence, second home, or investment property, including condos and townhomes.
Whether you are a first-time home buyer or an existing homeowner, they’ve got all the major loan programs to choose from, including conforming loans, jumbo loans, and government-backed loans including FHA, USDA, and VA loans.
In terms of loan type, you can choose from various fixed-rate and adjustable-rate mortgages, including the popular 30-year fixed or a 7/1 ARM.
All in all, they appear to offer just about everything you’d need mortgage-wise.
Farmers Bank of Kansas City Mortgage Rates
One great thing about Farmers Bank of Kansas City is the fact that they let you see their mortgage rates without having to call or fill out a lengthy mortgage rate quote form.
Simply head to their website, find the Home Loans menu, then click on “Get Rates.” From there, you’ll be able to create your own custom rate quote without any assistance necessary.
They list a variety of different rates with varying costs or lender credits so you can compare options with and without discount points.
From what I saw, their mortgage rates were super competitive relative to other lenders, even the rates they listed without any lender fees being paid out of pocket.
Speaking of fees, they do seem to charge a $1,295 loan origination fee, but as noted this can be covered by a lender credit.
They’ve also appeared on the Zillow Mortgage Marketplace, with seemingly excellent rates and lender fees as low as $1.
So it seems you can take the no cost refinance approach if wanted and still wind up with a great rate.
Farmers Bank of Kansas City Mortgage Reviews
On Zillow, the company has a 4.82-star rating out of 5 from nearly 300 customer reviews.
One nice thing about the Zillow reviews is you can fine-tune by loan officer to see how a particular individual performed in the past.
They have roughly 20 loan officers on their roster, so it shouldn’t be hard to check out their personal reviews, then go with who you like best.
Their parent company is not Better Business Bureau (BBB) accredited, but does have an ‘A+’ rating based on customer complaint history.
In summary, Farmers Bank of Kansas City gets bonus points for being transparent on mortgage rates and having an awesome and easy-to-use website.
But as always, take the time to shop around and compare their rates, fees, and loan process to other banks and lenders to ensure you get the best deal.
Farmers Bank of Kansas City Mortgage Pros and Cons
- Offer a digital mortgage experience
- Can apply directly from their website without a human
- They display their mortgage rates on their website
- Plenty of loan options to choose from including HELOCs and home equity loans
- Excellent customer reviews and A+ BBB rating
- Lots of free mortgage calculators and mortgage glossary on site
- Overall great website design and easy to navigate
The Maybe Not
- No physical locations other than some branches in Kansas
- Would like to see more customer reviews
- They charge a loan origination fee